Plan Your Move With Moving Checklist
We know moving can be exciting and stressful and we want to make sure you don’t forget to do anything in the process. That’s why we’ve created an epic moving checklist to help you stay on track. With some direction and this printable moving checklist for your upcoming move, you’ll be sure to have everything done between now and the big day, leaving you plenty of time to celebrate.
2 weeks before your move
- Start packing up your home by boxing up items you
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned and leave wrapped when returned.
- Obtain written appraisal of antique items to verify value.
- Book the moving elevator and confirm parking access for truck, if applicable.
- Contact your insurance company for transfer policies as needed.
- Prepare a list of people and companies to notify of your move.
- Arrange to be off work on moving day.
- Address minor home repairs before moving out(especially if you’re moving from an apartment).
1 week before your move
- Start actively packing the rest of your home room by room.
- Box up whatever you can. All boxes should be taped shut and stackable.
- Clean your home or arrange for a cleaning company to come in.
- Check furniture for dents and scratches.
- Label items you need to access easily.
- Clean out the refrigerator/plan to defrost and dry day before the move.
- Drain equipment: water hoses, propane tank, gas/oil lawnmowers.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Arrange for the cut-off/activation dates for your cable, gas, electricity, water, and garbage.
- Disassemble unused bedroom sets to save time.
- Bundle appliance manuals & warranties in one place for the new occupants.
- Take photos of electronics before unplugging for easy re-assembly.
- Pack a lockbox with your jewelry, cash, and other valuables to take in your car.
Overnight essentials box
- Toilet Paper
- Phone Chargers
- Garbage Bags
- Paper Towels
- Change of Clothes
- Dish Soap and Towel
- Pet Food and Dish
- Portable Tool Kit
- Minimal Cleaning Supplies
Before you leave the house
- Water shut off.
- Lights shut off.
- All windows are closed and locked.
- Surrender house keys.
- Check one more time for any left-behind items.
- Choose your moving company and confirm arrangements.
- Turn down the thermostat.
Time to relax!